Re: Intel Timed-IO driver in IIO/Counter subsystem

On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 4:01 AM Hall, Christopher S
<christopher.s.hall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Friday, June 17, 2022 4:40 AM Linus Walleij <linus.walleij@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > For 2. I am uncertain. Periodic events sound like PWM to me.
>
> I do not think TGPIO periodic output is useful for PWM. There are two output
> modes: edge output and pulse output. In edge mode output, where the an edge
> is produced periodically based on the programmed period the duty cycle is
> always 50%. In pulse mode output where a pulse is produced each output
> period, the width of the pulse is two ART ticks which on current Intel
> client platforms is about 50 ns. The pulse width is not adjustable.
>
> We want to be able to output a clock from 1 Hz (1 PPS) up to 1 KHz that is
> synchronized with the system clock.
>
> It is possible to represent the periodic output function as a PWM device,
> but the PWM subsystem output - without modification - is not aligned to
> any clock which breaks the timing application.

Is it "just" a clock then? As in drivers/clk?

It's of course annoying that the functionality of a certain hardware falls
between the subsystems so we end up using pieces of a subsystem in
another one, but there are several precedents, like network switch chips
and USB UART chips with GPIO inside them, or graphic chips with
clock dividers inside.

> > If a "single event" is something
> > like pulling a GPIO line high/low at a specific (wall clock) time in the
> > future, it should probably be in the GPIO subsystem, like a triggered
> > GPIO event or so, that sounds a bit hard but certainly doable with some
> > thinking and tinkering.
>
> Earlier, we proposed a linereq_write() method in addition to the already
> existing linereq_read().
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2021/8/24/807

This might be a good approach for this part of the hardware, as long
as we can make sure we get the userspace API abstract enough
that other hardware can make use of it and userspace does not
need to know what provides the timed output, just that there is
some hardware that does.

The ABI in the patch looks a bit dangerous, what happens if
you set an event like that and something decides to shake the
line by setting the output while the scheduled event is pending?

The direction seems sound however, but Bartosz and Kent need
to look at it in detail, their effort on the userspace ABI has been
tremendous.

Yours,
Linus Walleij