Re: iio_hwmon meaningful names

On 12/17/21 11:46 AM, Henk Medenblik wrote:
Hi,

Did anyone ever asked for meaningful names for the iio-hwmon readout?
I integrated the Xilinx AMS block which now shows up  through the sensors readout as:

iio_hwmon-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
in1:           1.19 V
in2:         357.00 mV
in3:         860.00 mV
in4:         859.00 mV
in5:           1.78 V
in6:           1.78 V
in7:         842.00 mV
temp1:        +45.0 C
temp2:        +44.4 C
temp3:       -280.2 C

But I believe an option to make more sense of in1 - in7 and temp1-temp3 would be a nice addition.

IIO recently gained supported for attaching a descriptive label to a channel[1]. The hwmon framework has a similar mechanism where a driver can report a label for a channel.

But the IIO hwmon bridge doesn't have support for handling labels yet. But if you are interested in this feature this might be a nice small project to work on.

hwmon also has the sensors.conf which allows to provide labels for channels through a userspace configuration file[2].

- Lars

[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=1d4ef9b39ebec
[2] https://linux.die.net/man/5/sensors.conf