Re: [PULL] 1st set of counter and IIO new features, drivers etc for 5.16

On Sun, Oct 17, 2021 at 09:59:11AM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 04:51:17PM +0100, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> > The following changes since commit 6880fa6c56601bb8ed59df6c30fd390cc5f6dd8f:
> >
> >   Linux 5.15-rc1 (2021-09-12 16:28:37 -0700)
> >
> > are available in the Git repository at:
> >
> >   https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jic23/iio.git tags/iio-for-5.16a
> >
> > for you to fetch changes up to 9dd58cce7873d97e31faff7abdb7968593cb3005:
> >
> >   iio: imx8qxp-adc: mark PM functions as __maybe_unused (2021-10-14 18:43:28 +0100)

> > First set of IIO and counter new device and feature support for the 5.16 cycle
> >
> > This has been a busy cycle in both subsystems, so lots here and a few
> > more stragglers to come next week.
> >
> > Counter
> > ======
> >
> > Most interesting element this time is the new chrdev based interface
> > for the counter subsystem.  Affects all drivers. Some minor precursor
> > patches.
> >
> > Major parts:
> > * Bring all the sysfs attribute setup into the counter core rather than
> >   leaving it to individual drivers.  Docs updates accompany these changes.
> > * Move various definitions to a uapi header as now needed from userspace.
> > * Add the chardev interface + extensive documentation and example tool
> > * Add new ABI needed to identify indexes needed for chrdev interface
> > * Implement new interface for the 104-quad-8
> > * Follow up deals with wrong path for documentation build
> > * Various trivial cleanups and missing feature additions related to this
> >   series
>
> This is a lot, and I have some comments on some of the individual
> changes here.  Are we sure this should all be going through the staging
> tree still?  How about char/misc now?
>
> How can I comment on the chrdev stuff here in a way that will reach the
> proper developers?  Is this the correct thread:
> 	https://lore.kernel.org/all/cover.1632884256.git.vilhelm.gray@xxxxxxxxx/

To be specific, I do not object to this code at all, and overall it
looks great, I just have some cleanups/suggestions/removals that
probably should be done to it.  Odds are, they can just be follow-on
patches and really, I should do it myself if I want to complain, right?  :)

thanks,

greg k-h