Re: active_scan_mask

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 11:18 PM Henk <iio-developer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I created a custom IIO device in FPGA which in fact contains a bunch of
> ADC channels which I can acquire and stream to disk. I use analog
> devices' libiio and specifically their iio_readdev application together
> with my custom FPGA design and custom iio kernel driver.
>
> Question: what mechanism is updating the indio_dev->active_scan_mask field.

That should be happening in drivers/iio/industrialio-buffer.c in the
iio_enable_buffers() function.
The channels get enabled by writing via sysfs in
/sys/bus/iiio/devices/iio:deviceX/scan_elements  in the _en files.

libiio typically does this manipulation of files for you

> With the iio_readdev application I can add command arguments where I can
> activate the channels that I want to retrieve (voltage0 voltage1
> ...etc). When I use 8 channels as command argument in iio_readdev then
> the active_scan_mask seems to be updated with the enabled channels. When
> adding even more channels the field is extended. However, when trying to
> acquire new data and dropping some of the channel arguments then the
> active_scan_mask field does not seem to revert back to the less enabled
> (or requested) channels.
>
> So.. I am searching which mechanisms updates that field with the aim to
> fix that bug.

so, are you using an Analog Devices kernel?
or is this a vanilla mainline kernel? and which version?
ADI has some custom patches that deal with this some scanmask manipulation;
is this being reproduced purely with libiio? and which version of libiio?
steps to reproduce?

i'm still not sure if the issue is in kernel or in libiio;