Re: Control Register device tree binding request for Opt3001

Hello Jonathan, Alexandru and Ekin

On 2021-02-18 15:15, Jonathan Cameron wrote:

As described, what you want to control here is policy, not a characteristic of the hardware. Normally we don't use DT to make such decisions, as it should
be controlled at runtime.

I'm by no means an expert on sensors and I don't fully understand the distinction
of policy vs characteristic in this context.

Can you clarify a bit?

For example, many TFT drivers allow maximum-minimum brightness values in devicetree and even set a default brightness value. Totally within the specs of vendor of course.

Since this is just a hardware register that can be changed, and possibly never to be modified (depending on the use case of course) during runtime, I would like to be able
to set it once during initialization and forget about it.

Currently I have a oneshot systemd unit that echo's my desired integration value and I think that's a bit late for my application. (even with all the priority and orderings set).

So basically what Alex said :)

Jonathan

Thank you

--