RFC: Present Screen rotation as counter

Today, on chromebook, to detect screen orientation (portrait,
landscape, inverted portrait, inverted landscape), chrome is polling
lid accelerometer data and calculating the orientation.
To save power, I want the embedded controller (EC) to forward an event
when the lid acceleration detects an orientation change.
To convey that information, I would like to define a rotary encoder
with 4 regions, the counter increases when the screen is rotated
clockwise, (decreases when rotated counter-clockwise) and would
increment by 4 on a full rotation.
The EC knows the accelerometer placement relative to the screen, so we
can define landscape as count % 4 equals to 0.
Would such a counter fit into the counter subsystem?

Regards,
Gwendal.