Re: [RFC] Spectral ID sensor + floating point questions

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 12:11 AM, Jonathan Cameron <jic23@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 May 2018 22:21:03 +0800
> Matt Ranostay <matt.ranostay@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Jonathan et all,
>>
>> Currently looking at ams AS7262 Spectral ID sensor, and thinking about
>> adding support to enable a project I'm working on.
>>
>> But I noticed it is a bit odd in that outputs data for the 6 color
>> channels in either a) raw 16-bit ADC values b) or calibration adjusted
>> values (factory calibration) but are presented as 32-bit single
>> precision floats.
>>
>> Clearly the latter data is  much more useful but of course it is a
>> floating point which isn't exactly the ideal in the kernel and there
>> isn't a precedent in iio (that I know of) for such values.
>>
>> Datasheet: https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/588/AS7262_DS000486_2-00-1082195.pdf
>>
>> Any thoughts, or suggestions?
>
> Hmm. Will need to think about this a little, but from a very high
> level look at the datasheet and you description, there is nothing technically
> stopping us supporting devices that do standards compliant floating point.
>
> The only similar case we have run into in the past was the mess of the HID
> sensor spec which could in theory change range over time and report it
> via the event path.  Thankfully I don't think we have ever seen a part
> that actually does this. That was tricky because it wasn't in a standard
> format and so pretty much required in kernel reformatting.
>
> As this is real floating point, we probably just want to pass it straight
> through to userspace using the buffered interface and a suitable
> description of the type.

What would you recommend for naming?  IIO_VAL_FLOAT, IIO_VAL_SINGLE, or etc?

> What we can't sensibly do is any in kernel consumers (as they'd have
> to do fp maths) or anything involving maths in kernel on these.
>
> We could do read_raw support with a suitable float to str function if
> it is potentially useful...

Actually after thinking about this we wouldn't need this because
reading one channel
is useless, you need all six channels from the same sample reading to
have a valid data.

Which is nice to not need to hack a float_to_str() function in for the
time being.

> So I'm not totally against the idea.
>
> However, we do need better description of light channels as giving
> them colors is only going to get us so far as these devices expand
> their number of channels and bring in the frequency range for each.
> Go for generality when you work this one out.

Yeah not sure what to do here.. my first instinct is to just use the
IIO_LIGHT with no modifiers
since it is up to userspace to know what channels map to what on which
AS726x part.