Re: Removal of iio (staging) meter/ade7753, ade7754, ade7758, ade7759 and ade7854

Hi Jonathan,

I’m using the ADE7878 and I made several changes that I did not send to mainline. If someone is willing to clean these drivers up as proposed, I am willing to test the drivers with hardware (I have both ADE7878 EVAL and ADE9000 EVAL boards) and send through any required changes. These changes were made about a year ago, so my patches will probably need some work for the current driver.

For the most part, there was a problem with checking the return value from I2C communications (return is either negative or the number of bytes read/write), the read32 requires 4 bytes not 3. Other than that, I renamed the registers to match the data sheet and added many of the missing registers.

I am currently looking at updating our hardware to ADE9000 and the ADE7758 looks like a good template for me to follow with core, ring and trigger functionality. I’m also looking to add DMA support to stream waveforms. I’m not sure if Analog Devices is looking to develop a driver for ADE9000.

One thing I don’t like is the mixing of register definitions in meter.h. Each data sheet uses different naming conventions for registers that have similar functionality, which means the common name used in meter.h does not match the data sheet and that is very confusing. There is also inconsistencies when naming the attributes; sometimes they follow the register name like avrms or cwgain, and sometimes they are given functional names like “volt_a" or “active_power_c_gain". I propose that each part have its own include file and that the naming convention follow the data sheet and listed in the same order as the data sheet.

Regards,
John