Re: Best practices for sending digital data

On 02/08/2018 11:18 AM, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 14:15:30 -0800
> Pavel Roskin <plroskin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:>>
>> I understand that the IIO layer tries to be helpful with
>> standardization, but I believe it's too restrictive.
>>
> So the question is what is the alternative to adding new channel types
> when they are needed?

[...]
> 2) We add magic 'user defined types'.  The problem then is that
>    the primary purpose of not just throwing all the drivers in with
>    their own interfaces is gone.  There is no standardization at all and
>    every device needs it's own userspace code.

Just want to add that this is a 'misc' device and this option is still on
the table. If you think the standard IIO ABI is too restrictive and you'd
rather have a device specific ABI you can write a misc driver for your
device. Or directly write a userspace driver.

The preferred solution of course is to work with the IIO framework and come
up with solutions for the shortcomings.