bmi160 drivers

Hi,

I was working with a vendor kernel based on an older version of Linux (3.14) and I backported the bmi160 driver that I found in a recent stable version of Linux.  That worked fine.  More recently, I picked up another slightly newer vendor kernel (3.18) for a slightly different product and I noticed that it already included a bmi160 driver.  I was surprised to discover that it was a totally different driver.  The driver appears to have been written by BoschSensortec (who makes the bmi160 hardware) and is available on github here: https://github.com/BoschSensortec/drivers

The driver in the regular linux kernel (originally written by Daniel Baluta and submitted to this mailing list) is around 800 lines of .c and .h files.  The Bosch driver is around 37000 lines of .c and .h files.  I'm not sure how the drivers compare in terms of features.  It seems that the Bosch driver is a bit older (based on the commit logs on github).  So I'm wondering:

Why were two drivers written?
Was there a discussion about which driver to include in the Linux kernel?  (I couldn't find any discussion on this mailing list)

Thanks,
David Frey