Re: Using IIO for high-speed DAQ

On 01/14/2017 06:18 PM, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
>> The IIO framework itself does not impose a limit on the maximum sampling
>> rate. It's all a matter of what the hardware is capable of handling. We have
>> systems where we do 3-digit MSPS continuous transfers and GSPS oneshot
>> transfers.
>
> Since this is the first time I touched this area: Is there a group of
> chips which you would recommend that samples with 200ksps, has a 16bit
> bit-depth and bipolar mode and is accessible at that speed via IIO?
> I'll look around a bit to find a solution for this issue.

Unfortunately this is often as  much about the AP as it is about the
converter. In the setups we have we use a AP+FPGA combination where the AP
runs Linux with IIO and the FPGA is responsible for handling the SPI flow
control during the acquisition phase. For this we've developed the
SPI-Engine framework[1]. It is compatible with most ADI single-channel SAR
and Sigma-Delta ADCs[2].

- Lars

[1] https://wiki.analog.com/resources/fpga/peripherals/spi_engine
[2]