IIO_GESTURE proposal

Jonathan,

So I am currently planning on implementing a driver for the Avago
APDS-9960 that has the typical ALS, RGBC, and proximity sensor
components. But this part has a gesture function that uses 4 IR
photodiodes aligned in a grid of UP-DOWN-LEFT-RIGHT that detect IR
light reflection off an object, and in turn reports back the direction
a hand or similar would make over the sensor.

Now the data that is reported back is the intensity of each of the 4
LEDs (UPLR) which then userspace can compute the velocity, and
direction of the gesture. My question should some thing like this be
using 4 IIO_INTENSITY channels or just one 32-bit value and new type
of IIO_GESTURE?

Datasheet -> https://cdn.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Sensors/Proximity/apds9960.pdf

Thanks,

Matt Ranostay