Re: [Patch 0/5] iio: adc: xilinx: Fix some minor issues

Hello Jonathan:

> > With hwmon, we would have inX_input, inX_lowest, inX_highest (in fact,
we
> > had, as Xilinx XADC used to be hwmon -- just to explain where I'm
coming
> > from). So it made sense to me to use .extended_name = "lowest" to have

> > in_voltageX_lowest_raw/_scale in addition to in_voltageX_raw/_scale
(same
> > index X). I understand that I may have read too much into the IIO code

> > here, though, and if there's a better way to do this, I will gladly
use
> > it.
> Hmm, we could as new info_mask elements (like _raw, _scale etc).
> The nasty corner case is that we might also read them as part of a
buffer
> read.  To do that they will need to be separate 'channels' in their own
> right.
>
> I'm not entirely sure right now if you can distinguish channels purely
on
> the basis of extended name (and different scan index values), but that
> might work, though would be a bit ugly.  There is certainly no
fundamental
> reason you can't do this..

Oh my, it seems I have been a bit unclear here. In my implementation,
lowest/highest *are* actually separate channels, with their own _raw and
_scale. The Xilinx XADC controller has separate registers such as
MIN_VCCINT and MAX_VCCINT in addition to VCCINT, and it was fairly
straightforward to extend the existing channel set this way.

So lowest/highest is orthogonal to raw/scale (which made it tempting to
use .extend_name). lowest/highest use the same .channel index as the
standard channel (so we have a group in_temp0_raw/_scale,
in_temp0_lowest_raw/_scale, in_temp0_highest_raw/_scale), but their own
.scan_index (as that has to be unique).

Perhaps we should just use .extend_name = "vccint", "vccint_lowest",
"vccint_highest"? (And NULL, "lowest", "highest" for channels which do not
have a hard-wired purpose.)

Best regards,
Thomas Betker