Re: [Patch 0/5] iio: adc: xilinx: Fix some minor issues

Hello Jonathan:

> > About [5]: This may be a matter of debate on the IIO list, but I
didn't
> > get the impression that extensions are intended to be used that way.
> >     .extend_name = "vccint" means that the sysfs node names are
> > in_voltage0_vccint_raw/_scale, which is a bit unexpected. I would
> > rather see them called just in_voltage0_*, and reserve extensions for
> > things like in_voltage0_lowest_* and in_voltage0_highest_*
(MIN_VCCINT,
> > MAX_VCCINT) -- that's what we do in our project.
>
> It was always intended for labelling of channels with well defined
> purposes.  That is ones that are hard wired to something rather than
> simply exposed for general purpose use.  I'm guessing vccint is
> the internal supply voltage, in which case that was pretty much
> the intended use.
>
> The datasheet name is only really there for binding consumers to
individual
> channels.  The thought being that you'd probably be sat there with a
circuit
> diagram in front of you specifying what is connected to which precise
pin
> of the ADC...
>
> So I think the original approach is more in keeping with the intent.

Okay, got it. It means that our application needs to remember that it's
sometimes voltage%d_%s instead of just voltage%d, but we can do that.

> The lowest/highest versions are interesting. Right now, the extended
name
> is the only way to specify them, but somehow it feels like we ought
> to have something better.... We could treat them as a filter or simply
> another aspect of the channel (like _scale etc), but that's also a
little
> ugly. Will think about this and see if anyone else has a better
suggestion!

With hwmon, we would have inX_input, inX_lowest, inX_highest (in fact, we
had, as Xilinx XADC used to be hwmon -- just to explain where I'm coming
from). So it made sense to me to use .extended_name = "lowest" to have
in_voltageX_lowest_raw/_scale in addition to in_voltageX_raw/_scale (same
index X). I understand that I may have read too much into the IIO code
here, though, and if there's a better way to do this, I will gladly use
it.

Best regards,
Thomas Betker