Re: [RFC 0/8] iio: add support for hardware fifo

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 7:23 PM, Lars-Peter Clausen <lars@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> By setting the watershed level the userspace application tells you that
>>> it
>>> is OK with getting data with a higher latency than one sample. This
>>> allows
>>> the driver to configure the FIFO level and hence reduce the interrupt
>>> rate.
>>>

>> Hi Lars,
>>
>> The implementation (as proposed in the patch by Josselin and Yannick)
>> does not inform the driver of changes to watermark, that is only
>> visible to core iio / buffer logic.
>

> That should be trivial to add though.

True. I've actually started by implementing hardware fifo support as a
new type of iio buffer, but I got scared by the buffer demux stuff. I
can take another stab at it, if that sounds better?

>> Also, the watermark alone is not enough to properly support hardware
>> fifos: the fifo can operate in multiple modes, we need to read data
>> from the hardware fifo even when the watermark interrupt is not issued
>> (the flush operation in the current patch set).
>

> What kind of modes are there?

Stream - new values overwrrite old values, Fifo - drop new values.