Re: IIO: Why cannot open two iio device node file descriptors simultaneously ?

On 08/04/2014 05:11 PM, Aniroop Mathur wrote:
On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Lars-Peter Clausen <lars@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 08/03/2014 11:32 AM, Aniroop Mathur wrote:

On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Lars-Peter Clausen <lars@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On 08/02/2014 06:57 PM, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
[...]

So, even after opening iio device node,
can we write the data to IIO device node from user space ?
(I do not see write function in below fileops)

Indeed.  Lars was working on some buffered support for DACs but hasn't
yet submitted it for mainline inclusion.  Lars how is the buffered
output
stuff coming along?

I still need to do the re-write you wanted me to do, otherwise its
working
fine ;)

Great :)
So, it is possible to write data to iio fd ?

No you can't. At least not with the upstream code. What exactly is it that
you want to do with this?

Okay :)
Actually, I am working on IIO device simulator android application.
This simulator will record the sensor data first and then replay it again.
For recording, we can read the data from iio device node and store it some file.
And for replay, we need to write the recorded data back to iio device node.
But as you said, from hal/application we cannot write the data to iio
device node
and therefore i am stuck how to replay back the recorded data.

In normal input device node, we can both read and write data,
so simulator is working fine for this case.
I was hoping to do the same with IIO device node.

Is there any scope this facility will be included in future for IIO ? :)

Injection of data into the output stream of a IIO device is something that's not planed at the moment I think. The writing support Jonathan referred to is for writing data to actual hardware (e.g. a DAC). If you think it will be useful to have support for injecting data into a abitrary IIO datastream rather than e.g. having dummy loopback device you can submit a patch which adds support for this.

- Lars