iio A/D converter input to input event subsystem

Hi,

I would like to use a couple of resistors and keys and one Analog input[1], read the analogue voltage from a kernel driver, figure out which key is pressed and pass this on to the Linux input subsystem. (Am I really the only one with this use case?)

In my specific case it's about a beagle bone black, which means that the A/D driver is an iio adc driver[2].

How would it be possible to reuse the iio A/D converter driver code for my driver? Maybe it would even be possible to create something more generic so iio A/D converter channels could be used as input keys. Some sample code which would enable me to choose an analog input and read from it from kernel space would help me to write some basic sample driver, I guess.

The reason I would like to write a device driver instead of a user space application is mainly the input subsystem. From the user space application's point of view utilizing a device driver which feeds the input subsystem would make it easy to exchange what's underneath without user space even noticing. (keys to Input pins, a key matrix to I/O pins, i2c input, A/D converter,...).

Regards,

Robert

[1] http://21stdigitalhome.blogspot.gr/2013/11/sensing-switches-on-analog-input.html [2] https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/iio/adc/ti_am335x_adc.c?id=refs/tags/v3.16-rc7