Re: ADC setting for differential and single-ended channels

[...]

> > > Can you please elaborate why is it logical?
> > >
> > > I took a brief look over the datasheet [1], here are the facts I see
> > > (correct me if I'm wrong). I first looked at Figure 51. :
> > >
> > > - ADS1246 has two input channels
> > > - ADS1247 has four input channels
> > > - ADS1428 has eight input channels
> > >
> > > - Each one of the 2/4/8 input channels can be connected to either P(+)
> > > or N(-) of the amplifier (figure 53) for the ADC.
> > >
> > > - Apparently, according to Figure 51. , it is possible to have only one
> > > P and one N channel enabled at time (and therefore sample only one
> > > pair of channels with the ADC) since the P and N rails are shared by
> > > all the inputs and there's only one ADC block.
> > >
> > > Therefore, the userland would have to export sysfs file for each of the
> > > channels where one would write if the channel is possitive(+) /
> > > negative(-) / not_connected(NC) and then trigger the start of sampling.
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > This does not make them act as differential  against each other.
> >
> > We can have several combinations as:
> >
> > 0 - P / 1 - N (differential)
> > 0 - P / 1 - P / 2 - P / 3 - N (all differential to 3)
> > and so on.
> >
> > So how userland would tell which would be the differential to use?
> >
> > Our board has:
> >
> > 0 against 1
> > 2 against 3
> >
> > but it is a design choice.
> >
> > Am I missing something?
>
> echo 'P' > /sys/.../chan_mux_0
> echo 'P' > /sys/.../chan_mux_2
> echo 'N' > /sys/.../chan_mux_1
> echo 'N' > /sys/.../chan_mux_3
>
> Like this for example ;-) And this could be nicely implemented via IIO, but
> I believe there might even already be an IIO API for this stuff.

btw. you might even implement some kind of channel sets, where you could have
mapping between 1 P-channel : N N-channel or the other way around , but this
seems rather complex. I'm just adding this here as an option that came to me.

Best regards,
Marek Vasut