Re: Userspace libs

On 02/13/2013 07:12 PM, Getz, Robin wrote:
> Jonathan:
>
> We made an "iio-scope" - a real time visualiser which runs natively on the
> embedded hardware. The application supports plotting of the captured data in
> three different modes (time domain, frequency domain and constatation).
>
> Description (and screen shots) are at:
> http://wiki.analog.com/resources/eval/user-guides/ad-fmcomms1-ebz/software/linux/applications/iio_scope
>
> Source is at:
> https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/iio-oscilloscope
>
> As you can see, it includes some of your code:
> https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/iio-oscilloscope/blob/master/iio_utils.h
> Which (I think) is still in ./staging/iio/Documentation/ [1]
>
> We build on some of that:
> https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/iio-oscilloscope/blob/master/iio_utils.c
>
> Which really isn't specific to the scope, and could be pushed to where ever we
> decide the .h file lives (this is a question/suggestion).
>
> We also have a network stack for IIO.
> http://wiki.analog.com/resources/tools-software/linux-software/iio_cmdsrv
>
> https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/iio-cmdsrv
>
> I would like to re-write some of the existing iio-utils.h (so iio device
> context is managed by the application), to become a little more thread
> friendly, and also merge in some of the networking piece - so when using a
> headless embedded device - userspace doesn't need to change/manage things
> much.
All the above looks good and it is very nice to have some non trivial
userspace support. I'll be happy to see any updates/cleanups to iio-utils.h
but keep in mind that it is only really meant to be a trivial in kernel
tree example.  The original plan was to have a separately maintained
userspace library to do things 'properly'. I guess it depends on exactly
what changes you are thinking of.    The networking stuff in particular
might introduce some non kernel dependencies that may or may not be a
problem.

> Is there a list of other things people want to see from userspace? [2]

Nope.  Probably should be though. Well volunteered!
Right now we don't really have a clean list of what people want on the
kernel side, just a lot of randomly scattered mailing list threads.

> -Robin
>
> [1] Which reminds me - is this planned on moving out
> of ./drivres/staging/iio/Documentation  into ./Documentation/iio ?
err.  Yes.  Keep forgetting to do it.  Ah well next cycle ;)
Lots of stuff still to move in general.