Re: Regarding iio-trigger functioning

On 7/18/2012 10:28 AM, Darshan Kumar NANDANWAR wrote:
Jonathan,
Just out of curiousity, which ADC are you working with?  Also
please note that questions such as this are best posted to the
mailing list. Everyone started from scratch once, hence there are
lots of people who might help on there! linux-iio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
Basically if there is no particularly strong reason to keep things
confidential they should be on the list.

Thanks for your precious explanations.. I am working on ST's Internal
Low Bandwidth ADC having  10bit resolution with 8 Input Analog
channels .. But has different requirement... Every channel connects
to different devices(sensors,key scanner,SCART etc ) with the
reference voltage will be different (~2V-5V)-can be changed
on-the-fly .
So far not that weird which is good...
So every  Analog channel  had to be configured within
(conversion_cycle_per_channel+ some buffer_jiffies) ..
Step one. Is there actually a use case for changing an individual channels reference voltage all that often? A fair bit of kit can do
this, but to pull it off in software you'll need to effectively run
a triggered DAC alongside the adc and it'll get really fiddly.
Or having read more of your supply are you saying that we actually have
a mux and so only sample one channel at a time (and hence have to change
the reference voltage etc)?
 So my choice
to design this is to use IIO subsystem.. But until i know this
subsystem i will not be able to start   writing this...Meanwhile , i
have copied maillist too ...
Sure.

Note that a lot of triggers are from the devices themselves and
hence lie in the relevant drivers.. (data ready signals typically
on devices with their own clocking).

Yes ,  May be in IIO terminology this is trigger , but from device
point of  view these can be called interrupts viz . EOC  or analog
watchdog interrupts. Right?
Indeed. Sometimes these are inttrupts, sometimes they are other things
entirely (e.g. input from userspace).  The terminology comes from
oscilloscopes where a trigger is what causes data capture to occur.

the interrupt routine fires off sub interrupts for any devices that
have attached to it (attachment usually done by name from userspace
- poke the trigger name into iio:deviceX/trigger/current_trigger
iirc).
True..

These ADCs register interrupt handlers for the subirqs and it is
these that grab the data form the adc and push it into the buffers.
Current tree has pushing only to a single buffer, but there are
patches on the mailing list to do it to multiple buffers (handy for
bridging to other subsytems).

ADCs are registering interrupt_handler for their Interrupt_lines
right?
Yes if they are data ready type interrupts). These typically feed triggers which in turn cause this adc (and sometime other devices)
to capture.
  And during the iio_allocate_trigger call, which in turn being
called from  trigger_initialisation (referring at91_adc.c) we are
doing following : irq_set_handler(trig->subirq_base + i,
&handle_simple_irq);

Its the generic handler for all sub_irqs.. Now during
data_ready_signal or eoc , they are calling
iio_trigger_poll(idev->trig, iio_get_time_ns(),if buffer is enabled);
.. which is going to call nothing but handle_simple_irq ... But still
when i go through this call , i see  action->handler(irq,
action->dev_id); is getting called.this must be someone which you are
pointing out.. SO far no real handler is registered which is
capturing the data from ADC and  putting  the content into buffer .
But during ring_buffer setup , capture(bottom_half) and
hard_handler(top half) is given which are going to form poll_function
, which is going to  be called when i do echo 1 >
/sys/bus/iio/devices/iio\:device0/buffer/enable along with preenable
, and postenable callbacks.. during the postenable this poll_func is
getting called which is running in trigger's irq context ,right?
Not during post enable it isn't. That will just be setting it up as the
interrupt handler.
 So
where does the subirq specific handlers are coming into play?
They are wrapped up entirely so you shouldn't care about them.
Trigger fires all enabled subirqs. ONE of these triggers has the pollfunc stuff registered to handle it. So the subirq handlers are
the pollfunc stuff.
 And
whats the usage? Please comment on my understanding too..
subirq handled by pollfunc.   So conceptually a trigger is causing a
device to be polled for data.

For my ADC , i am prohibited to work on interrupts mechanism (EOC
etc) , instead i will use polling for my device (if needed )... but i
want to generate one soft_interrupt after
(conversion_cycle+buffer_jiffies) to capture the data from device and
sleep for next cycle...
So you are really dead reckoning when the capture is done? That is fine. Look at how the sysfs-trigger works - that will show you how
to do a soft interrupt fire and cause capture to happen and you can
have whatever timing you like on the trigger.  Also are we capturing
all channels on each of these cycles, or just one of them?

If just one channel per 'trigger' you have three options
1) register separate iio devices for each channel (thus letting you don any scheduling you like). 2) Enforce some constraints such as all enabled channels wil be sampled in a fixed order. E.g. 0123 - sleep - 0123 - sleep - 0123
Then your trigger will be for the set (and the timing between individual
samples will be entirely hidden inside your driver).
3) If it's slow don't do a buffered interface at all - do it all through
the sysfs interface and do stuff on demand.

I hope , i sound legitimate..  Please make me come out of above
doubts..

Thanks Darshan

-----Original Message----- From: Jonathan Cameron
[mailto:jic23@xxxxxxxxx] Sent: 18 July 2012 12:54 To: Darshan Kumar
NANDANWAR
Cc: hennerich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Regarding iio-trigger functioning

      I am trying to use IIO subsystem for one of my  ADC with quite
different functions.  So   traversing the code . There are few doubts
regarding triggers which are placed in *drivers/staging/iio/trigger/
directory..*
Note that a lot of triggers are from the devices themselves and hence
lie in the relevant drivers.. (data ready signals typically on devices
with their own clocking).

*Lets say example of iio-trig-bfin-timer.c:*

**

Ø*How this trigger is going to communicate with actual device (say ADC)?*
the interrupt routine fires off sub interrupts for any devices that have
attached to it (attachment usually done by name from userspace - poke
the trigger name into iio:deviceX/trigger/current_trigger iirc).
Thus multiple ADCs or similar can run off a single trigger.
These ADCs register interrupt handlers for the subirqs and it is these
that grab the data form the adc and push it into the buffers.  Current
tree has pushing only to a single buffer, but there are patches on the
mailing list to do it to multiple buffers (handy for bridging to other
subsytems).

Ø*What i see: this timer will have IRQ handler  for  its IRQ  and IRQ
handler implementation is  like following in this driver:*

**

**

*static irqreturn_t iio_bfin_tmr_trigger_isr(int irq, void *devid)*

*{*

*        struct bfin_tmr_state *st = devid;*

**

*        clear_gptimer_intr(st->t->id);*

*        iio_trigger_poll(st->trig, 0);*

**

*        return IRQ_HANDLED;*

*}*

**

**

**

*Where iio_trigger_poll will be working on subirqs assigned to
consumers..  Unfortunately i am not able to establish the link between
    how does  this trigger yields  me to  capture the data from ring
buffer , as i don't see any such implementation in this trigger's ISR
routine?*
The subirqs are not for 'consumers' but rather drive either retrieving
the data from the adc or initiate the capture.  Then the data is pushed
into buffers and on to consumers.

The adc capture logic lies in the adc driver not the trigger driver
(often they are the same driver, but as you've gone with blackfin timer
they aren't here).

**

*Please provide me insight into this , so that i can  use this subsystem
to wrire a driver for my ADC...*
Just out of curiousity, which ADC are you working with?  Also please
note that questions such as this are best posted to the mailing list.
Everyone started from scratch once, hence there are lots of people who
might help on there! linux-iio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.  Basically if there is
no particularly strong reason to keep things confidential they should be
on the list.

**

**

*Thanks*