Re: [lm-sensors] [RFC 5/5] hwmon: add support for Technologic Systems TS-5500 A-D converter

Hi Jonathan,

On Wed, 04 May 2011 10:03:24 +0100,
Jonathan Cameron <jic23@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Excerpts from Guenter Roeck's message of 2011-04-29 23:39:38 -0400:
> >> Having said that, from reading the code it looks like the chip is
> >> not really used for hardware monitoring, but for generic ADC
> >> functionality. A quick look into the TS-5500 user manual confirms
> >> this. So this should not be a hwmon driver in the first place, but
> >> a generic ADC driver. Given the ADC conversion rate of the MAX197,
> >> the hwmon ABI is not optimal anyway. You should move this driver
> >> into the iio subsystem, probably to drivers/staging/iio/adc.
> >> Copying the iio mailing list for input.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Guenter
> >
> > I've took a closer look to the manual and that's right, in fact the
> > driver doesn't talk to the MAX197 directly. The board uses a CPLD to
> > abstract the interface to the MAX197. So all the MAX197 logic is
> > hidden by the CPLD.  Therefore, the driver files should probably
> > not have function and structure names with a "max197_" prefix. I'll
> > make the code a bit clearer. What do you think?
> >
> > Ok for iio subsystem, several ADC drivers are in drivers/hwmon/ but
> > drivers/staging/iio/adc seems to be the good place now.
> Just as a heads up, beware there are a few abi changes (and a lot of
> core ones) working their way through review /already in staging-next.
> I only mention it because merges against that tree will go through
> staging-next and as it's name suggests is sometimes a fast moving
> target!
>
> Jonathan

For the moment I have a working driver for the TS-5500 A/D Converter in
a arch/x86/platform/ts5500/ directory, but it is actually using the
HWMON interface. I have to move it to the IIO subsystem as you
suggested. Should it be in drivers/staging/iio/adc/ or can it stay in
my platform directory, as it is a platform specific device?

Regards,
Vivien.