Re: [Device-drivers-devel] Oddities and how to handle them.

On 05/03/11 10:26, Michael Hennerich wrote:

>>> Hi Jonathan,
>>>
>>> I'm now getting confused as well.
>>> Yes one apparent power measure per channel is enough.
>>> Didn't you say that the 3 power values will need to be different channels?
>>> My point was that we need a modifier that identifies the physical
>>> input/output channel.
>>>
>> I was thinking of this other way around. We have perfectly good channel
>> numbers. Lets use them for the physical channel, then use the modifiers
>> to distinguish what we are dealing with.  Thus, here we have:
>>
>> Channel types
>> Power,
>> Voltage,
>> Current,
>> (for now keep voltage as inX as it will easier to do a separate series converting
>> all drivers to new naming)
>>
>> for power, we define modifiers, apparent, active, reactive.
>>
>> for voltage and current we will define the modifier rms
>>
>> (this is a change to what I proposed earlier so as to allow for
>> events on RMS values. For consistency we will probably want to move
>> the existing channel info element peak_raw over to be a modifier
>> as well - what we currently do with that is a dirty hack that will
>> bite us at some point)
>>
>> We then define channel numbering, to be an 'indicator' of shared physical
>> channel (i.e. pin).  I only say indicator so as to avoid a mass change of
>> the tree in this driver patch. As with the channel renames, that wants
>> to be a separate series.  It actually effects only a few channels on a few
>> devices so isn't a big problem.
>>
>> By saying channel numbers indicate physical channels iff they are present
>> we get around having to assign the to axes on the IMU's and accelerometers.
>>
>> So we end up with here (I've gone for raw everywhere to avoid reading the
>> datasheet thoroughly!)
>>
>> power0_apparent_raw
>> power0_active_raw
>> power0_reactive_raw
>> in0_raw (probably become voltage0_raw at a later date, from waveform register?)
>>
> Not sure if we need voltage0_raw and current0_raw as a none buffer channel.
> These actual values are only interesting when they are sampled at a
> fixed frequency.
Cool. I wasn't sure about those.  Can conceive of devices that look at the exact
wave form which want to do this, but agreed, it doesn't make sense for this one..
(and I have no idea if such a detailed device exists - can only think of being useful
for looking at various DC to AC convertors...)
>> in0_rms_raw
>> in0_peak_raw (max value from set number of wave cycles - probably needs in0_peak_cycles as well?)
>> curr0_raw (from waveform register?)
>> curr0_rms_raw
>> curr0_peak_raw (max value from set number of wave cycles..)
>>
>> Would this cover your requirements?  It generalizes well (I think) so I'm quite
>> keen on doing it roughly like this...
>>
> Thanks, this covers things - and makes a lot of sense.
I'm pushing the updated code all the way through the tree.  It will take a little while
as this touches about half the driver updates. Note I'm also scrapping all but one of
the IIO_CHAN macros as per the other branch of this thread.  As Arnd predicted they have
turned into a maintenance nightmare!