Re: ASMedia ASM1166/ASM1064 port restrictions will break cards with port-multipliers

Hi there,

this is just a quick follow up as Arch just released the 6.8.1 kernel.
I tested it and as it includes the change it didn't work out of the
box.
I ended up to rebuild both the kernel and ZFS from source (as I
figured out one can not use the standard zfs package built for the
standard kernel with a self-compiled package - and I don't want to use
DKMS). I added the simplest fix I could come up with and commented out
the entire ASMedia block. And although it took me several hours
(roughly 3h) now it all works without issues.

> Non-standard vendor extensions should be enabled with user attention, so - invert logic and param name:
>
>        if (!enable_transparent_pmp_ports && pdev->vendor == PCI_VENDOR_ID_ASMEDIA) {
>                  switch (pdev->device) {
>                  case 0x1166:
>                          dev_info(&pdev->dev, "Limiting ASM1166 to its six physical ports\n");
>                          hpriv->saved_port_map = 0x3f;
>                          break;

I agree with Andrey on this one: As the number of users like me are
likely not that much the override should work like he mentioned:
default to limit the port count with the override to not limit them.
Nice solution - would love to see that get merged soon into upstream
as compile the kernel and zfs from source just takes quite a long
time.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Greetings from Germany

Matt