Re: Status update on SATA LPM issue on Lenovo T450 / W541 series

Hi,

On 13-06-18 23:25, Tejun Heo wrote:
Hello, Hans.

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 10:00:24AM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
Hmm, thinking more about this one thing which we could
do is have a dmi_match table with the gold (*) BIOS versions
and disable LPM based on that together with a warning
message that people should upgrade their BIOS ?

This ain't pretty, but I think it might be worth it,
what do you think of this ?

Thanks a lot for the update.  Much appreciated.  Oh yeah, DMI matching
the bios and disabling LPM is definitely the right thing to do.

*) The GOLD version may not be the only version affected,
but:
1) So far all reporters seem to be using the GOLD version
(or what I believe is the gold version), which is probably related to:
2) Systems where people are not updating the BIOS are
typically stuck at the gold version

I'd go for more liberal blacklisting than the other way around.
Locking up systems are way worse than systems with slightly shorter
battery life.  We can nag people to update the BIOS on DMI match, so,
as long as there's a known good BIOS to update to, we can stay on the
safer side and disable it.

Ok, I've asked for various reporters to send me dmidecode for
the known affected models:

X250
T450s
L450
W541

Once I've dmidecode output for all 4 models I will whip
up a patch.

Regards,

Hans