Status update on SATA LPM issue on Lenovo T450 / W541 series

Hi Tejun,

This is just FYI, but I thought it would be good to let
you know about this given the adding and then removal
of the NOLPM quirk for the SanDisk SD7UB3Q*G1001 SSDs.

In the mean time I've had some more reports about
people who's laptop hardfreezes about once 1 day
when SATA LPM is enabled, with a wide array of different
disks.

The common denominator in these reports are:
1) It is a Lenovo 50 series laptop
2) The laptop is using the gold BIOS from early 2015

In the mean time I've gotten confirmation from 3
different users that updating the BIOS fixes the
hangs.

As mentioned in the commit message removing the
NOLPM quirk, it seems that the hang is not directly
related to LPM, but triggered by the uncore reaching
deeper sleep states, which can only happen if LPM
is enabled.

Normally I'm not a fan of telling users that they
need to upgrade their BIOS, but the alternative would
be to disable LPM on all Lenovo 50 series laptops
which is a much too big hammer IMHO.

Note that the fwupd folks are working with Lenovo to
get Lenovo BIOS updates supported under Linux
through fwupd and people really should update their
BIOS given all the recent Intel ME security issues.

Hmm, thinking more about this one thing which we could
do is have a dmi_match table with the gold (*) BIOS versions
and disable LPM based on that together with a warning
message that people should upgrade their BIOS ?

This ain't pretty, but I think it might be worth it,
what do you think of this ?

Regards,

Hans

*) The GOLD version may not be the only version affected,
but:
1) So far all reporters seem to be using the GOLD version
(or what I believe is the gold version), which is probably related to:
2) Systems where people are not updating the BIOS are
typically stuck at the gold version