Re: SATA disks disabled on boot

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 7:45 PM, Phillip Susi <psusi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2/3/2015 2:32 PM, Nuno Magalhães wrote:
>> The BIOS shows the regular Primary/Secondary IDE Master/Slave (to
>> which only the CDROM is attached) alongside SATA. It doesn't seem
>> like SATA is the option, bu rather that both IDE and SATA are seen
>> as current usable interfaces (at the time the BIOS was released:
>> 2010). It does have NVRAID, which is disabled (i use mdadm).
>
> Typically there is a knob that toggles between three states: IDE,
> AHCI, and RAID.  RAID really is AHCI just with a different PCI
> identifier that causes windows to load their proprietary driver that
> does the software raid.  If you only have an on/off switch for the
> raid, then try switching it on.

A knob? You mean a knob on the motherboard? No such thing (that i can
see). A jumper perhaps? I'll check the manual.
As for BIOS RAID, every howto and tutorial i read about software
RAID/mdadm advices aggainst using the BIOS RAID implementation as it's
usually quite lacking in terms of quality.

>> There is no mention of AHCI that i could find.

Maybe it never got to this BIOS. Maybe there is something AHCI-related
in NVRAID, i never poked into that.