Re: SATA disks disabled on boot

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 5:36 PM, Tejun Heo <tj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So, the device initially reports that it doesn't support LBA48 and
> then later changes its mind later on for some reason.  That's weird.
> I wonder whether the controller is meddling with the IDENTIFY data.
> AFAICS, there isn't anything in ATA spec which would make a device
> change whether it reports 48 bit support or not.
>
> Can you please try the followings?

This doesn't happen every-time i boot, only sometimes (about 50/50).
Once i booted and the disk was disabled, i created dmesg1.nodisk

> 1. After boot is complete, re-trigger device attach by doing
>
>    echo - - - > /sys/class/scsi_host/hostN/scan

Partial dmesg2.reset (i just wanted to see what this output to dmesg,
i didn't reboot)

> 2. Boot with libata.force=dump_id and report full dmesg after boot.

dmesg3.dump_id

> 3. Boot with libata.force=nohrst and see whether anything changes.

dmesg4.nohrst

> Thanks.

Thank you for your time.

Both dump_id and nohrst detected the drive the first time i used them.
Should i keep trying one or the other until the disk is dropped again
(or not)? Should i specify both boot options simultaneously?

Kind regards,
Nuno Magalhães