SATA backplane activity LEDs

I am trying to get the drive activity LEDs in my Thecus N5550 NAS
working with a standard distribution kernel.  These LEDs are controlled
by an NXP PCA9532 dimmer, rather than the SiI 3132 SATA controller.  I
have been able to build the Thecus modules for a standard kernel, and I
am able to control the LEDs manually (through their non-standard
/proc/thecus_io interface).

Thecus uses a modified libata-core.c and libahci.c to control the LEDs,
replacing ata_qc_new and ata_qc_free with variants that turn the LEDs
on and off.  If at all possible, I would prefer not to be this
intrusive.

Is there any better way to do this?

Thanks!