Re: Ask for help with "qc timeout" and "failed to read log page 10h"

On 01/06/2013 02:59 AM, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
I'm using old notebook (coming from about 2008) and recently
experienced my first problem with the harddrive. There is one file I
can not fully read. It's size is 4.4GB, but after copying 3.4GB I get
that errors in dmesg and copying hangs.

This is the only case where I experience this issue. As long as I
don't touch that problematic file I don't see any problems/errors.

Is this possible some part of the file was saved on a bad block of my
hard drive? Can this mean some problem with the driver scanning for
the bad blocks? Or could that be just an accident that block became a
bad one after using it (when it was OK)?

EXT4-fs (sdb1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
ata1.00: qc timeout (cmd 0x2f)
ata1: failed to read log page 10h (errno=-5)
ata1.00: exception Emask 0x1 SAct 0x3 SErr 0x0 action 0x6 frozen
(... see dmesg.txt)

From the dmesg output (specifically the UNC bit) it looks like the drive is reporting it is unable to read a number of sectors. I would back up all important data possible from it and replace it ASAP.

Not sure what you mean by "the driver scanning for the bad blocks".