Re: AMD SP5100 SATA low perfomance

Rus V. Brushkoff wrote:
>> So the Hitachi ones are lighter than the WD ones and behave like mobile
>> hdds in that respect.
>
> Yes, these Hitachi is lighter and more sensitive to vibrations - even
> hanging on wires is sufficient for twice perfomance drop - the whole
> vibro silence is requred for it to reach the max speed. I think this
> is mostly the hardware design flaw of this particular model - will
> return all of them.

Well, you said that the 2.5" WD drives showed the same symptoms, so I
don't see how you conclude the problem is Hitachi-specific. It seems
more likely to be an interaction between some (or all) 2.5" drives and
the particular case/fan combination.

How are the 2.5" drives mounted in the cases?

Perhaps it would be fixable by using low-vibration fans or fan mounting
kits. Perhaps mounting the drives on a lump of solid metal to bring them
up to the same mass as a 3.5" drive would fix it. Perhaps resilient
mounting of the drives would fix it. Perhaps a stiffer/heavier case
would fix it.

Now that you know the problem is hardware-related, the same symptoms
should show up using Windows (or any other OS). So maybe Hitachi (and WD
and the case and fan manufacturers) might now be interested in finding a
better cure, or at least warning potential customers.