Re: AMD SP5100 SATA low perfomance

> So the Hitachi ones are lighter than the WD ones and behave like mobile
> hdds in that respect.

Yes, these Hitachi is lighter and more sensitive to vibrations - even
hanging on wires is sufficient for twice perfomance drop - the whole
vibro silence is requred for it to reach the max speed. I think this
is mostly the hardware design flaw of this particular model - will
return all of them.

> "The same HDD with another SATA controller (checked with Asus M2NPV and
> M5A78 m/b) shows normal write (150Mb/s-300Mb/s) perfomance."
>
> Does that mean that the Hitachi hdd which was performing badly in the
> Tyan board, didn't receive vibrations when connected to the Asus mobo
> simply because the Asus mobo is in a different chassis which absorbs
> vibrations somehow?

 Yes, as the Asus mobo as the "working good" S8005GM2NR one has the
different chassis that has very small vibration, so for tests I did
not put the HDD inside - it was simply laying on chassis surface -
this is why connecting the same HDD shows the normal perfomance.

> All I'm saying is, if you switch mobos and use the same chassis which
> generates vibrations, you should be seeing the same performance drop
> with the Asus board and this way confirm your findings.

 Sure. I've made the simple test - took out the HDD from the vibrating
case - run dd and see the 100Mb/s perfomance. Next simply puted the
HDD on the vibrating 1U case surface and run the dd test again - the
perfomance immediatly dropped to 20Mb/s. This is constantly
reproducable ;) These HDD is unusable where the fans exists - seems
like everywhere ;)

--
Rus