Ok.

Are there any conclusions that can be drawn from this experiment ?

Yeah, it means that your BIOS doesn't seem to have the fix for erratum
#131: http://support.amd.com/us/Processor_TechDocs/25759.pdf, page 83.

So, this is not a problem with the promise-sata driver as I originally suspected. I guess then we can take this discussion off the linux-ide list...

I don't know whether there is BIOS for your ancient CPU :-) and if there
were, whether upgrading it won't break something else.

If I were you, I'd run the automated script hooks and don't care about
upgrade... provided we don't see any other hickups that is and provided
we manage to automate them so that you don't have to boot into recovery
console every time.

Let me know how it all plays out.

Will do! Many thanks!

HTH.