RE: Problem w/ hotplug on sata_sil24 w/ PMP (sil3726)

That may well be a problem, but is not the problem in this case since it
is not limited to port 0.  Seems like the sil driver or pmp code in the kernel
is disabling the ports that are not connected at pmp power on and not looking
at them again until we hotplug one of the ports that was connected and cause
a hard reset or something like that.

For instance, I turn off the pmp unit and connect drives to
ports 0, 1, and 2 then power on the unit.  Linux sees the pmp unit and finds the
three drives.  Then I connect a drive to port 3 and Linux reports nothing.  No
interrupts, no nothing.  Same with port 4.  However if I connect a drive to
port 3 or 4 (or both) and hotplug the a drive on any of ports 0, 1, or 2 now
the drives are detected after the hard reset.

This hardware works fine under Windows, hotplugging drives and powering the
unit off and on, etc. using the same Sil3124 eSATA PCI controller.  No problems,
so I think the hardware is okay.

I don't know of nor have a Marvell PMP, but I do have another Sil3726
PMP board with newer firmware and a board with a JMicron PMP that I am
going to test with.

Thanks for your help.

Derry Bryson
Sr. Software Engineer

Highly Reliable Systems
www.High-Rely.com
"Making Backup Invisible"

Phone: 775.329.5139 X129
Fax:     775.370.1001

Sales & Support: 877.384.6838

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are the property of Highly Reliable Systems, Inc. This (email) information is confidential, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom this e-mail is addressed. If you are not one of the named recipient(s) or otherwise have reason to believe that you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete this message immediately from your computer. Any other use, disclosure, retention, dissemination, forwarding, printing, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.