Re: Problem: security locked disk and partition table read..

> Except.. the kernel (?) sat there for a very long time trying
> (and failing) over and over and over and over and over and over
> to read sector-0 (the partition table).  Of course the reads
> each failed, and then got retried 5-times by SCSI, and then
> retried again a zillion times at a higher level.

It gets prodded by the various partition formats, the userspace hotplug
code and so on, not always for block 0.

> Why so many attempts to read the partition table???

Each partitioning format does its own requests. Normally that is fine but
in this case its bad news.

> Anyway, here's the hack I used:

Presumably we should set a per device flag of 'security locked' and fail
normal I/O to it but allow the other paths ? The 'proper' way would then
be to use the key rings and also a kernel event to poke userspace into
handling it.

Alan