Re: decoding PMP errors with Marvel SATA controller

Speaking of which, what sata chips are recommended nowadays for PMP outside
sil24 cards?

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 01:38:38PM -0400, Mark Lord wrote:
> > This sounds a lot like another recent PMP problem we had with marvell.
> > It could be that FIS-based switching doesn't work quite as well for
> > some reason.
>
> This all *used* to work with sata_mv.
> But I also recently noticed my sata_mv cards no longer work with the
> 4-port Marvell PMP here, and that combo definitely did work when I
> finished with it all (back around 2.6.29 or so).

I also used it but it was back 2-3 years ago now. I think it even worked
back in 2.6.18.

> I'm rather distracted here right now with broken internet connectivity,
> and hunting for new providers etc., so not likely to dig around on it.
>
> Perhaps Marc MERLIN could retest with an older kernel,
> say 2.6.32 or 2.6.29 even, and see what happens with those.
> Hopefully it will work there for him, and we'll have a starting
> point to bisect the issue.

So it's a bit difficult for me to get too much data on this since it's a
production system and downtime does come at somewhat of a premium.

However, if whoever may be able to work on it and see what broke (because it
almost works, I see all the drives on my PMP and I can read data somewhat, I
just get a lot of somewhat scary errors now) lets me know, if he/she has no
way to test him/herself, I'll see what I can do to help out and get to
replicate this with older kernels on either that server, or maybe another
machine I would have to build for it (trying repeatedly on production data,
even with backups, not so good :) ).

Thanks for the answer,
Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....