Re: Does Intel Sandy Bridge MB Sata support port multipliers?

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:43:30AM +0100, Tim Small wrote:
> On 20/06/11 05:51, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > I upgraded the system and was hoping to use onboard sata (it's a Sandy
> > Bridge lga1155).
>
> Which chipset?  Perhaps lspci of the ahci controller device?

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Unknown device 1c02 (rev 05)

> > When I plug my PMP into that, the other drives are not detected.
> >
> > Where do I find the list of SATA drivers that support PMP.
>
> It's dependant on the hardware and the driver...
>
> https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SATA_hardware_features

Thanks, I tried searching for this page on google and came up empty handed.
I guess this page needs a few more links, and maybe the whole wiki
can be linked somewhere in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/ ?

> > Are newer intel MBs with onboard SATA supposed to work?
>
> I believe Intel limit PMP support to certain chipsets and versions (for
> "product differentiation" marketing reasons).  I have an H67 motherboard
> here, and PMP is supported on all 6 ports, but only in "CBS" mode (i.e.
> poor performance if you try to access two drives concurrently).
>
> I'm currently wrestling with PMP support on Marvell AHCI devices....
>
> It seems to work on an 88SE9125 with recent firmware, but not working
> with an 88SE9123 with older firmware.  I'm planning on doing further
> debug later today.

I see.

> > ahci 0000:00:1f.2: flags: 64bit ncq sntf pm led clo pio slum part ems apst
>
> no "pmp" in that flag list :-(

Ok, so I guess that answers this question.

Thanks,
Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/