Re: WRITE DMA EXT failures with JM20330 based sata2ide

On 09/06/11 15:31, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 8:51 PM, Manuel Reimer
> <Manuel.Spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I've converted a 1,5TB SATA drive to IDE to run it on a UDMA100 IDE
>> controller.
>>
> You're having a genuine transmission problem and I think
> fixing the underlying hardware issue would be the better choice than
> mucking with EH behaviors.

FWIW, I've played with three different makes and models of SATA<->PATA
bridges at one time or another, and only one of them actually worked
reliably with hard drives - all seemed to be OK with optical drives, but
I assume that was down to their lower transmission speeds / throughput.

If you have any PCI or PCIe slots available, then you may be better off
buying a cheap add-in SATA controller instead (e.g. Silicon Image 3132,
or second-hand 3124, or Marvell 88SExxxx).

Cheers,

Tim.

--
South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.