Re: libata: implement on-demand HPA unlocking

On 2/9/2011 1:48 PM, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> On 02/09/2011 10:36 AM, Tejun Heo wrote:
>> Agreed.  We're screwed whether we unlock or leave it alone.  I think
>> the best way is to export the original size via sysfs and always
>> unlock and let dmraid and whatever stuff which expects metadata at the
>> end use the bios size.
>
> Agreed...

Then why did you have libata default to NOT unlocking it, which seems to
be the correct thing to do?  When Ubuntu switched to libata they patched
it to default to unlocking the HPA because the old ide driver did.  This
seems wrong and causes breakage.  Tejun's patch seems to be a good
compromise between the two choices: unlock if you think it will help,
otherwise, don't, since it might hurt.