Re: sata_via bus errors fixed?

Tejun Heo wrote:
> (please always reply-to-all)

OK :)

> Yes, that definitely would be a good idea.  The first thing I would
> try is disabling the VIA FIFO workaround completely and see whether
> that makes any difference.

Just a quick progress note. I'm most familiar with Suse and not familiar
with kernel builds so last night I installed the pre-built
Kernel:/HEAD/11.2 kernel from the opensuse build service. It's 2.6.37.

It appeared to run without problem* so it seems that whatever fixed my
issue was at least not specific to the Knoppix kernel. FWIW, I've put
the dmesg at:

http://pastebin.com/bWUNr8Ve

It was late so all I did was copy a 1.7 GB file to and from the new disk
on the VT6241A controller. No errors were logged. Incidentally, what's
the best way of testing for this type of reliability?

Tonight I plan to compile that kernel, which should confirm that I
understand how to do it, and then I'll disable the VIA FIFO workaround
as you suggest and see what happens.

Cheers, Dave

* PS There was one oddity, which was that Evolution crashed at around
the same moment as I was mounting a logical volume from the new disk. I
didn't investigate and it restarted OK.