Re: WDC WD20EARS and 4k sector size

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 10:15:14PM -0500, Martin K. Petersen wrote:

> Herbert>  - the drive doesn't report 4k sectors at all, not
> Herbert>    even as physical sector size.

> There have been numerous threads on this list about EARS not
> reporting block sizes correctly. Check the archives.

really? well, they probably use strange subjects or the search
function on the archives is broken ...

I did a search on the archives, and I get a totla of 30 threads
containing EARS (in linux-ide) and most of them talk about
something completely different (like rabbit ears :)

> Herbert> My question now is, how can I tell the kernel that this drive
> Herbert> actually has 4k physical sectors and that it would be a smart
> Herbert> thing to send requests in some kind of 4k I/O chunks?

> Align your partitions on a 4K boundary.

While this will ensure that the drive performance is better
than without doing so (I'm not using a partition table on that
drive anyways, but I get what you mean), this doesn't inform
the kernel about proper I/O sizes and for sure doesn't prevent
unnecessary read-change-write operations for the disc ...

best,
Herbert