Re: PMP and SEMB messages to SEP

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 03:20:18PM +0100, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Hello,

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 08:25:58PM +0100, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> > I had a quick read on the (S)ATA specification regarding
> > PMP and sending/retrieving messages from the SEMB, but at
> > the moment, I have no clue how to 'map' that to existing?
> > code in the Linux kernel or how that should/could be exposed
> > to userspace ...

> > Any hints/pointers/information would be greatly appreciated.

> Unfortunately, it hasn't been implemented yet.

Okay, so any ideas/suggestions how to implement it?

> I didn't have access to any SEMB aware device and no one
> else worked on it, so...

No problem there, AFAIK, any SiI3726 based PMP should have
everything required for a SEMB, but most PMP products do not
add the required header to actually connect it to a SEP
(at lest the SiI3726 specification says so :)

I have no problem digging into it and doing the testing, but
of course, all input on how to address this is quite welcome

Thanks in advance,
Herbert