Re: Is there a reliable way to ID a SSD?

Jeff> In an ideal world where information and engineers are cost-free...

Oh, yeah...

Jeff> if a device is non-rotational, we should know this, whether it's
Jeff> ancient compact flash, or gigabyte's DRAM-based ATA device, or
Jeff> modern SSD.  It shouldn't be a question of whether or not treating
Jeff> a non-rotational device as a non-rotational device is performance
Jeff> win -- because if you're asking that question, it might imply
Jeff> areas where we are making invalid assumptions about certain
Jeff> classes of non-rotational devices :)

Well, there were a few attempts at getting SSD performance metrics into
ATA. They failed for political/marketing reasons. Even if we had gotten
the metrics we wanted I'm sure most vendors would have indicated that
"this one goes to eleven".

All we have is non-rotational which means "seeks are cheaper than on
rotating media". And for a lot of older/slower flash devices it's
actually a win to do merging because command latency can be quite
high. So it's not necessarily a win to go non-rotational. Which is why I
suggested looking at numbers instead of blindly whitelisting every ATA
flash device known to man.

However, now it appears that what Greg really needs is a
supports_secure_erase flag...