Re: Why so much PIO for r/w accesses ?

On 10-11-21 06:35 PM, Mark Lord wrote:
While working on something unrelated today,
I instrumented ata_sff_data_xfer32() to generate a printk() on each invocation.

Imagine then my complete surprise to see that print() being invoked very frequently
after rebooting with the modified kernel.

ata_sff_data_xfer32() is for PIO read/writes.. something that I don't expect to
see.

This is an ata_piix system, with a pure SATA SSD.
Why are we using PIO so much?
Or am I simply misunderstanding something basic here.. ?

Confused.

Definitely just me being confused.  :)

I changed the printk() into an ata_dev_printk(), and discovered that
all of those reads/writes are targeting the DVD-RW drive, not the SSD.

So this is simply hald or something similar polling for disc-insertion,
and PIO is used (as always) for the PACKET command transfer.

Duh.  :)