Re: Fwd: Re: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6 frozen - "dead" harddisc until reboot

On 06/10/2010 01:52 PM, MadLoisae@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi there,

actually I am using kernel 2.6.34, up to now I was in every (stable)
release since 2.6.30 affected by this issue.
Today I have reactivated legacy, regrettably deprecated parallel ATA
support and have disabled libata. Its a shame, libata is much faster
(about 20% faster I/O measureable) and more forward-looking, but it is
not a real alternative if it crashes continuous but not reproduceable on
via-chipsets (google for this, the web is filled of this issue!). I
know, via chipsets are not very good, but shouldn't we try to make it
better (or at least best as possible) with newer drivers instead of worse?
I hope legacy ATA support won't be removed soon from the kernel sources ...

I like trying out a lot, but if the response is so thin it does not make
fun just looking at the same issue with the same messages again and
again not able to do anything beside looking at it and resetting the box
afterwards ...

Have you tried limiting the speed to UDMA2? If that helps then it could be that the motherboard circuitry, etc. isn't suitable for faster speeds.

Random timeouts are unfortunately quite hard to debug since there's so many problems that can cause them but the symptoms are the same: could be that there was an error on the bus that caused something to stall, an interrupt got lost somehow, etc. Or maybe the timing of device access is somehow different and thus more likely to trigger whatever the cause is. There also seem to be a fair number of bugs in these IDE chipsets that the driver has to work around, could be there is one missing in the libata version..