Re: ICH10 not working with AHCI kernel option

On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 10:08:33 +0100
Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You also don't get the CPU having to handle each command itself and poke
> the drive which causes signficiant stalls (doubly so because Jeff Garzik
> hasn't applied my patches to fix the bogus ones yet ;))
>
> So not only do you get 64bit DMA and NCQ but the inter command delay is
> lower so its faster overall. You also get less CPU stalls for I/O which
> can be very slow with legacy mode although it usually only upsets real
> time people.

	Interesting. With my old motherboard (sata_nv) I used to have
some stalls, mainly on GTK+ apps like Claws-mail during intense I/O
and Firefox. Now with AHCI it's barely noticeable, but it happens too,
although not as frequent as it used to happen with sata_nv.

	I hope your patches get applied soon.