Re: ICH10 not working with AHCI kernel option

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 20:52:34 -0600
Robert Hancock <hancockrwd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We can detect an AHCI-capable Intel chipsets (in most cases anyway),
> but problem is that a lot of systems with such chipsets, especially
> laptops, unfortunately have no way to actually put the controller into
> AHCI mode (no BIOS option for it). We could whine about it, but in a
> lot of cases there's not much that can be done about it..
>
> Intel chipsets are pretty much the only ones that have the separate
> modes in the BIOS for AHCI - others like NVIDIA AHCI-compliant
> controllers support both legacy mode and AHCI in the same device,
> which is a lot more convenient in some ways..

	Yes, I agree completely!

	It's absurd that in plain XXI century, hardware makers still
default to legacy mode without a chance for the user to change that in
BIOS.

	I understand that Linus Torvalds complained about EFI some time
ago (http://kerneltrap.org/node/6884), citing it as "other Intel
brain-damage" but at least EFI would give a chance for the user to
interact better with the system than the limited, ugly and old "BIOS".

	When every motherboard maker adopt EFI, I hope this limitation
will go away. I can't understand why new Core i7 systems still use BIOS
instead of EFI.