Re: 4k sector size and WD20EARS

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010, Martin K. Petersen wrote:

We still haven't been given a comprehensive explanation. "It breaks something for someone" doesn't really give us much to work with...

I'd imagine the market for a 4k sector drive which only does 4k sectors on the wire, would be very limited considering the amount of driver and OS support for this. Otoh a lot of OSes write 8 blocks at the same time because they use 4k page sizes so doing 512b sectors on the SATA layer and 4k when writing to the drive makes a lot of sense.

I don't really see what it is you're looking for when it comes to "more information"?

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx