Re: Comment on ATA 4 KiB sector issues

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010, Tejun Heo wrote:

How do you calculate geometry from newer Windows partition tables (cases
W-1, W-2 and W-3)?

By solving the equations matching CHSs and LBAs.  It only works if the
first partition ends before the CHS address limit (2 variables to
solve for so we need 2 different equations).

Thanks for explanation. So with 64/32 geometry this should work for partitions smaller than 1 GiB. With 255/63 geometry this limit is 8 GiB and there are partitions bigger than that. Maybe for bigger partitions BIOSes use ending CHS?

The only reason we're talking about geometry is for compatibility w/ older operating systems. So, at this point, diddling with geometry just doesn't make any sense at all.

If we "do as Windows do" and make partitions aligned at 1 MiB but not aligned at cylinder boundary, then there is no way to boot Windows 2000 or older OS. If we use 64/32 geometry, there is a chance (maybe small) that BIOS will calculate or assume correct CHS values and older OS can boot. And this geometry cannot hurt newer OSes.

--
Tomasz Palac, AGH University of Science and Technology