Re: ATA 4 KiB sector issues.

On 2010/03/09 11:34 (GMT+0900) Tejun Heo composed:

>>> With regards to XP compatibility I don't think we should go too much out
>>> of our way to accommodate it.  XP has been disowned by its master and I
>>> think virtualization will take care of the rest.

> Yeah, good point.  I'm just a bit worried that it might generate a lot
> of frustrated bug reports.  Well, maybe we should just advise users to
> install windows first and then install Linux.

That's too crude. Installing Windows first has never been necessary on any of
the many multiboot systems I've configured. If competent partitioning is
performed prior to installing anything, as I do, no one else should need to
either. Besides, one cannot normally re-install Windows, an installation
situation that is hardly uncommon, after installing other operating systems,
so any plan that includes that instruction is broken from inception.

FWIW, OS/2 still has existed since before Linux, and likely will continue to
exist after XP has been all but forgotten. Yet it's not too likely ever to be
GPT-capable.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/