Re: Corrupt data - RAID sata_sil 3114 chip

On 01/29/2010 10:13 AM, Ulli.Brennenstuhl wrote:
The last message of this discussion is more than one year old, but still
there was no solution to this problem.

I recently encountered the same problem that a raid created with mdadm
consisting of three SAMSUNG HD154UI sata harddisks had random errors and
mdadm --examine would randomly report that checksums are wrong/correct.

The sata controller with the SIL 3114 chipset runs on an old Epox 8K3A
board with a VIA KT133 chipset. I noticed that placing the controller in
another pci slot would change the results of mdadm --examine.
While in one slot it was the checksums were randomly changing between
correct and wrong in another slot it was always displayed as wrong.

After deactivating every single bios option that somehow optimizes the
pci bus the problem seems to be gone. After some more testing I could
narrow the problem down to the option "PCI Master 0 WS Write", which
controls if requests to the pci bus are executed immediately (with zero
wait states) or if every write request will be delayed by one wait state.

Obviously this reduces the performance. I didn't perform tests but the
resync speed of the raid dropped from ~ 28mb/s to ~ 17mb/s.

I hope this also solves the problems for other people and it would be
interesting if any change to the driver would allow to reenable the "PCI
Master 0 WS Write" option.

I don't imagine there's anything the driver's likely to be able to do to avoid it. That sounds like a definite chipset bug. The PCI interface on older VIA chipsets was pretty notorious for them.